As part of our work to amplify the important work in the Wellbeing Economy movement, these WEAll Weekly Update blogs will share some of the latest and greatest updates from our membership and beyond. Please use the comment box to share any relevant updates from this week and keep the conversation going!
Changing Words to Change Society: The Marriage Equality Case in the US
By focusing on what Susan Blackmore calls memes, core ideas that help shape culture, like words and phrases, we wanted to visualize whether a controversial issue like marriage equality and the language used to describe it changed over time
Participation and Change: Lessons From the Future
“Participatory processes are giving us glimpses of how we can mainline public opinion into decision-making and regulate for the type of climate action that would match public concern. I am certainly excited by the developments and momentum in participatory and deliberative democratic processes. But how confident are we that these types of process will always truly reflect a public mandate?”
Building the Transition Together: WEAll’s Perspective on Creating a Wellbeing Economy
There is not one blueprint for a Wellbeing Economy; the shape, institutions and activities that get us there will look different in different contexts, both across countries and between different communities within countries. However, the high-level goals for a Wellbeing Economy are the same everywhere.
Guia Prático e Interseccional Para Cidades Mais Inclusivas – Sarah Gamrani (#36×36)
Covid-19 and 21st century public ownership
“In place of extraction, we need to mainstream generative forms of enterprise: purposeful business serving social and environmental needs, providing decent, rewarding forms of work, and building sustainable, equitably shared wealth.”
The Biggest Payoff From Stockton’s Basic Income Program: Jobs
People who received the cash reported less pain, anxiety and fatigue, and spent more time with their kids. But perhaps the most significant change associated with the program was its effect on their work status: Among recipients, the rate of full-time employment leaped 12 percentage points over the course of just one year.
“This collection draws upon the complexity of ethical, ecological and political frameworks and reveals other perspectives on the current crisis through critical essays, storytelling, science fiction, biomorphic design, audiovisual traces of artistic practices and allegorical maps”
Budget 2021: Five priorities for a green and fair economic recovery | APPG letter to the Chancellor, 1 Mar 2021
“Every decision that the Treasury makes should be through a climate, nature and equality lens, and this budget must be the start.”
Relationship-to-Profit: A Theory of Business, Markets, and Profit for Social Ecological Economics – Jennifer Hinton
“The result is a new theory about how relationship-to-profit (the legal difference between for-profit and not-for-profit forms of business) plays a key role in the sustainability of an economy, due to the ways in which it guides and constrains actors’ behavior, and drives larger market dynamics.”
Job Openings & Opportunities
- Associate Program – On Purpose
- Professor of Wellbeing Economy – University of Glasgow
- Various positions – The World Transformed
- Feminist Graphic Designer
- Projects Officer – World Fair Trade Organization
- Call for Submissions: Green Recovery Climate Exp0
- Call For Papers: Sustainability and social innovation in a time of climate and biodiversity emergency
- Executive Director – Jubilee Debt Campaign
- Share a story: “Stories for 2050” From European Commission
What to Watch
- WEAll Talk: Making Systems Change Happen with Irene Guijt & Ruth Mayne
- Peter Victor: Slower by design not disaster. managing without growth
- How the fashion industry is turning to forests for the fibres of the future | Rethink Sustainability
- Commencing 36×36!
- r3.0 Conference 2020 Keynote Jean Russell
- The Story of The Global South– TEDxGRC Possible Futures
- Why the Future Economy has to be a Wellbeing Economy | Katherine Trebeck |- Response Video
- Capitalism: What’s Our Exit Strategy?
- Wonderspace Episode 20 feat. Katherine Trebeck
- Children’s Wellbeing Budgeting with Jennifer Wallace
- Banco Interamericano de Desarrollo
- Decolonising Design Thinking– The Conversation Factory
- Health, justice and the environment – the core issues– FEASTA
- The SuperNova Podcast – Lena Ski
- From green privilege to green gentrification– Shareable
- Debunking the myth of Homo Economicus – Upstream Podcast via Shareable
- March 18: WEAll Policy Design Guide Launch Event
- March 19: Nature at the heart of a global circular bioeconomy
- March 3-20: What Next Summit – Transition Network
- March 18- 23: World Happiness Fest
- March 21: How Money Was Created with Steve Keen
- March 24: WEAll Citizens Science Project: Measuring the Wellbeing Economy
- March 24: Learn How To Make Your Business More Sustainable
- March 30: WEAll Talk “36×36 Fostering a Femxle-Led Economic Revolution” with Amanda Janoo
- April 27 & 28: SEWF 2021
- May 17- 21: #ClimateExp0 Conference
- May 19 & 20: Impact Summit – FutureX
- Next Economy MBA “Meet the Instructors” – LIFT Economy
- Regeneration Pollination “Speed Networking” Events – the Global Regeneration CoLab
- SURVEY: Business and the wellbeing economy
- Stories for Life
- Commencing 36×36!
- The Least Popular Buzzwords of 2020
- How do we ensure a Wellbeing Economy is inherently antiracist?
- A ‘Market for Values’ as an instrument for human and ecological wellbeing – Marco Senatore
- Village in the City – Building micro-local community around the world – a WEAll ‘Wellbeing Economy Correspondents’ Blog
- What might social media look like in a Wellbeing Economy?
- The 2021 Wellbeing Economy Reading List
- Stories For Life
- Wellbeing Economy Messaging Guide– Positive Money, PIRC, NEON, and WEAll
- Measuring Wellbeing, Rutger Hoekstra
- Business in the Wellbeing Economy, Olga Koretskaya & Gus Grosenbaugh
From the Archives
- 10 Principles to Build Back Better
- Rebuilding to a US Wellbeing Economy
- What is a Wellbeing Economy?
- The Business of Wellbeing Guide
Let us know what
you would like
to write about!