As part of our work to amplify the important work in the Wellbeing Economy movement, these WEAll Weekly Update blogs will share some of the latest and greatest updates from our membership and beyond. Please use the comment box to share any relevant updates from this week and keep the conversation going!
“The desired state for a company is being a truly sustainable enterprise that partners with other organizations to lead society to a more just, safe, healthy and resilient future. The 21st century sustainable enterprise force field is a dashboard of sustainability-related forces that affect companies”
Human development has been spurred by changes in technology. But so has inequality. Today’s staggering inequalities began to appear with the industrial revolution. The pace of technological change is accelerating due to digitalization and frontier technologies. New technologies can have severe downsides if they outpace a society’s ability to adapt.
“The Youth Envoy mission is to lead advocacy and champion youth agency in the prioritization of youth issues within continental, and other decision-making and
Beyond Race and Rota (January 2021) It Takes a System- The Systemic Nature of Racism and Pathways to Systems Change
There are three central pillars to race thinking as a mental model. The first pillar is that humanity can be differentiated along the lines of the category called ‘race’. The second is that there exists a racial hierarchy in which being white is the highest form of humanity. The third is that populations racially minoritised as ‘other than’ white are deeply and irreversibly biologically and/or culturally flawed. In other words, the racial order is largely fixed.
“Monopoly power in the U.S. has reached catastrophic levels, affecting every corner of our economy and society. While this crisis is gaining more attention, particularly in the tech industry, there is much more to understand about how it affects our lives.”
“The consensus for the shift to a wellbeing economy is growing. Scientists have called on governments to “shift from pursuing GDP growth and affluence toward sustaining ecosystems and improving wellbeing” to tackle the climate emergency. Business leaders are pressing for an economic reset that recognises human dependence on nature and includes measures of economic performance beyond GDP, and most citizens agree that the government should prioritise health and wellbeing goals above economic growth.”
Job Openings & Opportunities
- Executive Director – Jubilee Debt Campaign
- Share a story: “Stories for 2050” From European Commission
- Social Media Officer– Social Value UK (closing today!)
- Global Health Impact Producer – The Bureau of Investigative Journalism
- Training Delivery Manager – Campaign Bootcamp
- Fellowships Manager – The Finance Innovation Lab
- Various Openings – Tax Justice Network
- Well-Being Economies Specialist – David Suzuki Foundation
- Trainer and Practitioner Community – Stir to Action
What to Watch
- Commencing 36×36!
- r3.0 Conference 2020 Keynote Jean Russell
- The Story of The Global South– TEDxGRC Possible Futures
- Why the Future Economy has to be a Wellbeing Economy | Katherine Trebeck |- Response Video
- Capitalism: What’s Our Exit Strategy?
- Wonderspace Episode 20 feat. Katherine Trebeck
- Children’s Wellbeing Budgeting with Jennifer Wallace
- Crisis of Understanding? Paradigm shifts, priority changes and future of the state – OPSI feat. Katherine Trebeck
- Building Back Better: Reform and Renewal after COVID – feat. Katherine Trebeck
- Working Practices – Katherine Trebeck
- The SuperNova Podcast – Lena Ski
- From green privilege to green gentrification– Shareable
- Debunking the myth of Homo Economicus – Upstream Podcast via Shareable
- Pitchforks and Arcadia: overcoming fear with a new vision – FEASTA
- The Wellbeing Economy Lessons for the Future Policy Lab Podcast
- Discover WEAll Youth and the Wellbeing Economy
- February 28: Poetry Conversations: What is Afrikan Poetry?
- March 3-5: Migration and Trade Unions – Migrant Labour Struggles and Challenges WG
- March 3: Where can purpose push your business to?
- March 3-20: What Next Summit – Transition Network
- March 9: Living well within limits: How can the Economy of Wellbeing approach tackle climate change?
- March 10: WEAll Read Deepdive: Alternative perspectives on missions with Matthew Ford
- March 10: Learn How To Make Your Business More Sustainable – Free Online Workshop
- March 10: Exploring Invisible Women Syndrome – Cities@Tufts
- March 18- 23: World Happiness Week
- March 24: Learn How To Make Your Business More Sustainable
- April 27 & 28: SEWF 2021
- May 19 & 20: Impact Summit – FutureX
- Next Economy MBA “Meet the Instructors” – LIFT Economy
- Regeneration Pollination “Speed Networking” Events – the Global Regeneration CoLab
- Commencing 36×36!
- The Least Popular Buzzwords of 2020
- How do we ensure a Wellbeing Economy is inherently antiracist?
- A ‘Market for Values’ as an instrument for human and ecological wellbeing – Marco Senatore
- Village in the City – Building micro-local community around the world – a WEAll ‘Wellbeing Economy Correspondents’ Blog
- What might social media look like in a Wellbeing Economy?
- The 2021 Wellbeing Economy Reading List
- Wellbeing Economy Messaging Guide– Positive Money, PIRC, NEON, and WEAll
- Measuring Wellbeing, Rutger Hoekstra
- Business in the Wellbeing Economy, Olga Koretskaya & Gus Grosenbaugh