As part of our work to amplify the important work in the Wellbeing Economy movement, these WEAll Weekly Update blogs will share some of the latest and greatest updates from our membership and beyond. Please use the comment box to share any relevant updates from this week and keep the conversation going!
Escaping the Growth & Jobs Treadmill- European Environmental Bureau
“Livelihoods matter. Not just for the richest in society. But for all of us. Labour matters. Not just as the means to production but as an investment in the building of society. Work matters. Not just as the means to an income but as the tangible manifestation of our commitment to a collective future.”
“The consensus for the shift to a wellbeing economy is growing. Scientists have called on governments to “shift from pursuing GDP growth and affluence toward sustaining ecosystems and improving wellbeing” to tackle the climate emergency. Business leaders are pressing for an economic reset that recognises human dependence on nature and includes measures of economic performance beyond GDP, and most citizens agree that the government should prioritise health and wellbeing goals above economic growth.”
Climate Justice Playbook for Business – B Corporation
As the source of the vast majority of the planet’s greenhouse gases, the business sector is uniquely culpable for the climate emergency. The business sector is therefore responsible for demonstrating leadership in eliminating emissions, drawing down carbon as rapidly as possible, and directly addressing the injustices brought about or exacerbated by climate change.
The Power of Corporations in a Digital World – Oxfam Report
“Our key concern is to consider the significance of data and algorithms, the establishment of monopolies, and policy assumptions in competition law. Our touchstone is whether digitalization supports the social and ecological transformation of the economic system or – what we hope to avoid – hampers it.”
Job Openings & Opportunities
- Fellowships Manager – The Finance Innovation Lab
- Various Openings – Tax Justice Network
- Well-Being Economies Specialist – David Suzuki Foundation
- Trainer and Practitioner Community – Stir to Action
- Share a story: Who’s a great example of social change where money, power and accountability are with the people they’re meant to serve?
- Research Project: The Governance of Food Systems in Cities: Assessing Risks and Gaps for a Sustainable Transition in the Decade of Action
- Research Project: Building a ‘Wellbeing Economy’: developing a capability-based approach to capturing the complexity of social justice on a healthy planet
What to Watch
- The Story of The Global South– TEDxGRC Possible Futures
- Why the Future Economy has to be a Wellbeing Economy | Katherine Trebeck |- Response Video
- Capitalism: What’s Our Exit Strategy?
- E.F. Schumacher: Moving from Cleverness to Wisdom
- Wonderspace Episode 20 feat. Katherine Trebeck
- Children’s Wellbeing Budgeting with Jennifer Wallace
- Crisis of Understanding? Paradigm shifts, priority changes and future of the state – OPSI feat. Katherine Trebeck
- Building Back Better: Reform and Renewal after COVID – feat. Katherine Trebeck
- How Soon Is NOW? A Conversation with filmmaker Claudia Rinke
- Working Practices – Katherine Trebeck
- The SuperNova Podcast – Lena Ski
- From green privilege to green gentrification– Shareable
- Debunking the myth of Homo Economicus – Upstream Podcast via Shareable
- Pitchforks and Arcadia: overcoming fear with a new vision – FEASTA
- The Wellbeing Economy Lessons for the Future Policy Lab Podcast
- Discover WEAll Youth and the Wellbeing Economy
- February 24: WEAll Talk “Making Systems Change Happen: Evidence-Based Hope From Doing the Hard Stuff in Tough Places”
- February 23: How to Guide Sustainable Development
- February 23: Green New Deal Cymru: turning our vision into action
- February 23: How to go even more local after COVID-19 – Shareable
- February 24: Economies FOR the Future ~ Life at Work ~ Deep Dive No. 3 ~ 2021 – Dr. Claudia Gross
- February 24: Slower by Design, Not Disaster – Peter A. Victor
- February 24: A budget for a green recovery
- February 25: Exploring Systems Change for a Post-Covid World – Systems Innovation
- February 25: Understanding Systemic Racism: “The Role of the Radical Writer”
- February 26: Public Futures database and report launch
- March 3-5: Migration and Trade Unions – Migrant Labour Struggles and Challenges WG
- March 3: Where can purpose push your business to?
- March 3-20: What Next Summit – Transition Network
- March 10: WEAll Read Deepdive: Alternative perspectives on missions with Matthew Ford
- March 10: Learn How To Make Your Business More Sustainable – Free Online Workshop
- March 10: Exploring Invisible Women Syndrome – Cities@Tufts
- April 27 & 28: SEWF 2021
- May 19 & 20: Impact Summit – FutureX
- Next Economy MBA “Meet the Instructors” – LIFT Economy
- Regeneration Pollination “Speed Networking” Events – the Global Regeneration CoLab
- How do we ensure a Wellbeing Economy is inherently antiracist?
- A ‘Market for Values’ as an instrument for human and ecological wellbeing – Marco Senatore
- Village in the City – Building micro-local community around the world – a WEAll ‘Wellbeing Economy Correspondents’ Blog
- What might social media look like in a Wellbeing Economy?
- The 2021 Wellbeing Economy Reading List
- Wellbeing Economy Messaging Guide– Positive Money, PIRC, NEON, and WEAll
- Measuring Wellbeing, Rutger Hoekstra
- Business in the Wellbeing Economy, Olga Koretskaya & Gus Grosenbaugh
From the Archives
- 10 Principles to Build Back Better
- Rebuilding to a US Wellbeing Economy
- What is a Wellbeing Economy?
- The Business of Wellbeing Guide
Let us know what
you would like
to write about!